Dear Professor Blackstone,

I hope this message finds you well. My name is Denzel, and I am currently studying and pursuing a degree in Mechanical Engineering in the Singapore Institute of Technology (SIT). I am hoping to be able to provide some insights in this blog as to why I chose this specific course to study and what my goals are for this module.

I recently graduated about 2 years ago with a Mechanical Engineering Diploma from Singapore Polytechnic. But if I am being honest with you, studying engineering and being an engineer wasn't exactly what I wanted in the past. If you had asked me back when I was about 18 years old about what exactly I was interested in, I would have said something drastically different, maybe somewhere along the lines of studying communications, design and art as that was I was more interested in back then instead of physics and solving math equations. However, my grades were not good enough to enter the course of my choice after my O levels, which in turn made me wonder what else I might be interested to study in. I then remembered how I had many fond memories of building legos and studying the mechanisms in those lego technic toy-sets with my older cousin back when I was young teen, which then influenced my choice to choose Mechanical Engineering in Singapore Polytechnic, which in turn sparked even more interest in me to learn more about the world of Engineering.

I find that I am able to converse well with people despite of our different cultures and backgrounds, or if it is our first time meeting as I really enjoy talking to new people and forming friendships and connections with them. And one thing that I found out recently from my friends is how I have the  ability to ease the tension if there is any in our conversations. I am also very open to receiving feedback and criticism from other parties and vice versa. This shows how flexible and adaptable I can be in many different settings.

However, even though I am extroverted, I still find myself feeling extremely nervous whenever I am chosen or picked to present in front of a large crowd. I hope to able to overcome that sense of fear and nervousness through this module as I am sure that having a powerful voice and being able to speak out will be a valuable asset to me in the future.

My main goal for this module would be to develop my the ability to produce clear, concise, and well-structured technical documents, which are crucial for successful project documentation and research dissemination in the engineering industry in the future. I would also like to be able to present concepts in an engaging and understandable manner to effectively communicate my ideas and findings to diverse audiences.

I am confident that your class will provide the necessary tools and strategies to excel in these areas, thereby complementing my technical education and preparing me for a successful career in Mechanical Engineering.

Aside from work and studying, I am currently very into running and working out. I am also training for my second half marathon right now. My friends like to say that I am having an early quarter life crisis  as I am going through the phases, from running to pilates and spin classes. I also enjoy an occasional game of ultimate frisbee as it helps to wind down after a long stressful day.

Thank you for taking the time to read this blog. I am enthusiastic about the opportunity to learn from your expertise and to contribute to the class.

Best regards,

Denzel



Comments

  1. Hi Denzel, you did a great job thoroughly introducing yourself in your blog. Your blog has a great amount of content without being long-winded, and the points you wanted to cover were well organized. I personally think the language used in your blog leaves little to be desired, and only has very minor grammatical or punctuation mistakes.

    I personally can relate to some of your points, and feel like I'm in a quarter life crisis as well. Cheers to a greatly-written self-introduction!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Denzel, thank you for this letter as it allows me to get to know you better as a person, even though we have not interacted as much as in real life. I could tell that you could converse with people from different cultures and backgrounds or upon meeting them for the first time as we have with each other right since the start of day 1. I know this is not a technical document as you described, but I can see your a clear use of language and a well organized structure from this letter. I am looking forward to getting to know you more in our journey in SIT!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Life of an engineering student

Tesla’s GUI and Autopilot system (Initial Research Path)